I did a presentation last week to my local Business Women’s Network. The topic was about making your business more efficient and how to streamline the way you work to free up time for more productive tasks. You can download the handout by clicking here.
How do you be more efficient?
- Have a filing system that is logical and simple
- Keep you desk uncluttered and tidy
- Don’t be a hoarder – handle each piece of paper once
- Schedule regular tasks each week
- Use systems to save brain power – See this post (Create some Head Space)
- Avoid double handling
- Reduce distractions and interruptions
But being efficient isn’t enough on its own. It doesn’t matter how efficient you are, if you’re not being efficient at the RIGHT things you will never reach your goals.
You also need to be effective. The key to being effective is to align what you do every day with your big picture goals.
Some tips to help you be effective:
- Write down your goals and then make a plan to get there
- Plan quarterly, monthly, weekly and then daily actions. You need to really break it down into small doable steps.
- Review your plan every quarter and refocus on what you need to do to get to your goals
Remember, deciding what NOT to focus on is just as important as deciding what to focus on. Whenever you say “yes” to something you’re saying “no” to something else because there are only 24 hours in every day.
Resources & Links
One of the resources I love is a book called “Work Smarter Live Better” by Cyril Peupion and he goes into a lot of detail about all of this. Here is where you can buy it:
My “Best Week Ever” free tool is also handy for setting your priorities. Click here to download.
I’ve done a detailed handout for attendees at the meeting last week and you can download it by clicking here.
Listen to your numbers, read their story and watch your business Bloom!